Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2016

DIY Modge-Podge Wood Ornament

Happy New Year!
As I'm sure many of you have been as busy, if not more busy than we have been!  BUT I did want to share this year's family ornament with you.
I make an ornament every year for my family.  Last year when we were all together, we had family pictures taken, which was wonderful!  It's always nice to have good family pictures, and one of the perks is that it's the gift that keeps on giving.  When we took the pictures, we got one of our feet, with shells in the middle that wrote out "2015", that I intended to use for the ornament.


Here's what you'll need:
- Printer
- Tissue paper
- Double-sided tape
- Drill
- White painted 3.5 inch wood round
- Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue
- Paint brush
- Twine
- Nail file

Directions:
1. I watched a video on youtube.com on how to print on tissue paper.  Basically, I cut it to an A4 size, and stuck it to the regular printer with double-sided tape at the two shortest ends.

2. When printing the pictures, in my printer setting I chose 3.5 x 3.5.  4 pictures fit on each side.


3. Trace the wood ring on the back of the pictures, and very carefully cut them out.

4. Using the paint brush, evenly distribute glue on the wood ring.  Then gently place the picture on the round.  The reason you need to be careful, is because once it's stuck down, it's really hard to get it back up nicely. (I originally used mode-podge, but for some reason it started turning the picture yellow, but the gel clear glue worked great.)

 

5. After it dries (make sure it dries), go over it again with the clear glue on top.  If you do it before it dries, it'll come up.  


6. I wanted it to look a little more worn, so I ran a nail file along the edges.  


7. Then Dan drilled a hole at the top of each, I strung twine through it, and voila!

  



Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment